Skilled Trades Apprenticeship Readiness Training (START)
The START camp is an excellent opportunity for young people to gain exposure to the skilled trades before graduating high school. This camp is completely free and is brought to you by Materion and Terra State.
What is START?
The Skilled Trades Apprenticeship Readiness Training (START) program offers students entering the 9th through 11th grades the unique opportunity to receive hands-on experience in the following areas: HVAC-R (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration), Electrical and Controls, Welding and Fabrication, CNC (Computer Numerical Control) Machining, Hydraulics, Machining, CAD (Computer Aided Design) and Robotics - all modules begin with safety training prior to touching any equipment.
When is START 2019?
This year’s program will run June 10th through 13th (Monday through Thursday), from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Why should I participate?
- Learn about the options in the skilled trades in a fun environment
- Meet new people with similar interests
- Get to try a variety of hands-on activities using real tools and machinery
- Each START Program participant will receive a partial scholarship to attend Terra State Community College for selected skilled trade programs!
What do I need to do to participate?
This program is offered at no cost to the student or family, however there are a few requirements:
- Interested students will need to complete an online application to participate in the program.
- Applications must be received by April 28, 2019 to be considered.
- Students must be able to commit to attending all four days from 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Parents/Guardians and selected students will need to attend one of our orientation meetings to learn about the program, complete authorization forms, and learn about the guidelines and attendee expectations.
- 2019 orientation date options:
- May 22, 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- May 23, 7:00 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.