One of your first connections on campus will be your Academic and Career Advisor here at Terra State Community College.
What is an Academic and Career Advisor?
Academic and Career advisors are counselors who meet with college-level students and help them discover what program and potential career they are interested in. They also help make sure students stay on track to meet their educational goals.
Who meets with Academic and Career Advisors?
New students are required to meet with an Academic and Career Advisor to select their first semester schedule of courses. Continuing students are encouraged to meet with an Academic and Career Advisor at least once per semester.
What can Academic and Career Advisors do for me?
Our Academic and Career Advisors can help you with a variety of things including:
- Academic program planning
- Course planning and registration
- Referrals to other student services on campus (e.g. tutoring, disability services, career services, counseling, financial aid, etc.)
- Transfer options to other institutions
- Academic and personal problem-solving
- Understanding academic policies and procedures
- Evaluating your degree plan
- And any other needs you may have exploring career options at Terra State
I'm nervous about my advising appointment, is there anything I should do to prepare?
- Make sure all prior college and high school transcripts have been received by Student Records
- Assemble and bring an advising folder and keep all advising materials (e.g. Accuplacer or ACT scores, academic plan, etc.) inside of it
- Think about and write down some questions for your advisor
- Research your degree & course requirements using the online course catalog
- Create a tentative course schedule with alternatives (if this is your first visit, we can walk you through this process)
How do I contact Advising at Terra State?
Advising at Terra StateB105